Saturday, December 2, 2017

The Hoarded Stash

I'm not sure how many of you can relate to this, but I know I'm not alone when I mention that I have actual "collections" of fabric that I hoard.  And by hoard I mean I have it, it's stacked neatly, I like looking at it, I may even pet it, but I never cut into it.  I know it's crazy, but I'm not apologizing for it either!!  Well, the right motivation came along and I am here to say that one of my long-time hoarded stashes has hit the cutting table.

Here is a stack of my long-time hoarded stash of Vintage Modern by Bonnie and Camille for Moda.  Yes, I know there are a few greens missing, but they were just in another stack.  Also, if you look at the reds there is an rogue red from another collection.

I am participating in an Instagram Block Swap called #anotherbclogcabinswapagain

It is hosted by Kristen Olson of @heartfullyhandmade  There have been several of these Log Cabin Block swaps featuring Bonnie and Camille fabrics starting back in 2015.  If you search on Instagram under the hashtag #bclogcabinswapfun you will see almost a thousand beautiful photos of blocks and many quilts made by swappers.  I have been drooling over them for years and now I'm joining in the fun.

The deal on the swap is this; you make 12 large 20 1/2" Log Cabin Blocks using only Bonnie and Camille Fabrics, the blocks are constructed in a log cabin format not courthouse steps style, there is no dark/light aspect to the log cabin blocks, just random fabrics stitched around the sides in a clockwise manner.  Then you square them up at 20 1/2".  Then you cut them exactly in quarters.  So, the swap is actually making 48 quarter blocks and swapping 36 of them as you keep 12 of your own.  I hope that this explanation isn't too confusing.  I will post photos of my blocks once they're finished and then cut into quarters.

Gorgeous strips of B&C fabric

It's nice to start something so fun with a deadline!  Then you know you will get the blocks made.  I'm actually going to add enough quarter blocks to make a full size bed quilt.  I have a hard time making quilts that aren't going to fit on a bed.  My family has a beach cottage on the Chesapeake Bay here in Virginia and there are four bedrooms, each having a full size bed.  So, it's a size that will get lots of use.

My quilting time this year has been mostly consumed by the BOM by Sarah Fielke, Down the Rabbit Hole.  It is an amazing quilt so far, it's a medallion which is both wonderful and challenging.  I like medallion quilts because they grow before your eyes and you always have an actual quilt top in the making starting with a mini, to a table-topper, to a wall hanging, etc....  The challenging part is the piecing and cutting have to be sooooo accurate as it all has to fit.  If one border doesn't fit because it's a little long- you get wavy borders and that's not always able to be quilted out.  Mine is not perfect, but the easing and such that I've done from time to time falls within an acceptable amount to be basted flat and quilted out.  No big waves.

Down the Rabbit Hole Block of the Month
I had done a little hand applique prior to this quilt, but never to this degree.  It has been an incredible amount of applique and I have loved it, but it has consumed me!!!  After all, I have four kids at home and they are all busy.  The one nice thing about applique is that it can be taken with me when I'm sitting in carpool lines or at a ball practice.

So, I'm so glad that I have this amazing hobby where I get to work with beautiful fabrics, creating these quilts for my family.  I think about my kids and grandkids enjoying the quilts I'm making and it makes me smile.

Kathi




No comments:

Post a Comment